Walking to the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, my mom summed up my feelings leading up to the trip. As we waiting on line to enter the ballpark, she looked around at everyone in our matching The 7 Line orange t-shirts, and said “Are we the only team in baseball that can be this bad but still manage to get 650 people to travel out of the country to see them play”?

A little backstory — my husband isn’t a baseball fan, so I’ve always relied on my mom to join me on my Mets adventures. We’ve done a few ballparks by ourselves, but when The 7 Line announced their 2018 travel schedule, I suggested we go with the larger group to Toronto and Boston. So, my mom got her first passport at the age of 64, and we booked our tickets.

 

Mom
My mom and I outside of Rogers Centre

 

We headed to Toronto on the morning of the game, and arrived at our hotel around lunch time. If you’re staying in Toronto, I highly recommend the Radisson Admiral Hotel, which sits right on Lake Ontario. It’s walking distance to the Rogers Centre (I could see it from my hotel room) and has a wonderful rooftop pool overlooking the lake. We opted to skip the pre-game with The 7 Line because…well, let’s talk about that.

 

Image result for Rogers Centre the7line

 

I have complicated feelings about The 7 Line. On it’s surface, I love the concept. It was so much fun being at a game with over 600 other fans cheering on our boys and 90% of the people I met at the game were wonderful. However, having been to a few home games with this group, I know about the other 10%. These people are unfortunately the regulars, whom you can tell by the orange The 7 Line jerseys they sport over the event t-shirt. The ones who drink too much and act obnoxious, especially in another teams ballpark. The ones you make you wish you weren’t wear the same t-shirt. The ones you feel you need to apologize for as annoyed Jays fans look at you as if to say “you’re really a part of this?”.

So anyway, we skipped the pre-game and headed to the ballpark. It was a beautiful night in Toronto, so we got to experience the roof over (I am 0 for 2 in experiencing an indoor game as the roof was open last year in Arizona when I went). The ballpark concourses were very clean, and large — they didn’t feel crowded and looked relatively modern. It wasn’t until we started to ascend to our seats that we notices those were a bit on the older side. Still, they were comfortable enough and it was true stadium seating in so it didn’t matter if Abe Lincoln was going to sit in front of me, I would still be able to see the field.

This is the eighth ballpark I’ve been to, and it tops the list for in-game entertainment. From the Jays mascot dressing up like Michael Jackson to dance to a medley of his songs, to the generous prize giveaways, to the more modern music during the game and in between innings. The fan experience was really the best of all the ballparks I’ve been to, and makes me long for the day when the Mets will stop catering to the 80 yr old man from Queens with Lazy Mary and Billy Joel.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Overall, it was a great game. Considering how poorly the Mets had been playing, we did win that night. I had a yummy veggie dog at the ballpark, and of course continued my tradition of getting ice cream so I could add a Jays helmet to my collection. Overall, a really great experience. I am looking forward to September, where I’ll again travel with The 7 Line to Fenway. Let’s see how the group does against a rowdy bunch of Sox fans. Pray for me.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s