When one chapter ends, another one begins.
David Wright played in his last Major League game on Saturday September 29th in front of a sold out Citi Field crowd. It was an emotional night for the fans, the team and Wright himself. Jose Reyes played in what presumably was his last game in a Mets uniform on September 30th.
2003 started a new era for the Mets with the call up of Reyes and then the next season Wright. These top prospects filled the team with hope and desire for a championship in Queens.
Through years of ups and downs, Wright continued to play hard and smile at the adversity that was in front of him. Although the Mets didn’t reach their goal of winning the World Series, they still had memories to remember from the time Wright got called up to his final game in a Mets uniform.
The chapter is complete but the book isn’t finished. There is still a story to be told, you just gotta read the next chapter.
The future belongs to the youth of the Mets. Amed Rosario, Michael Conforto, Brandon Nimmo and Jeff Mcneil. These position players can write the next chapter in New York Mets history. They can become Mets heros like Wright was.
Amed Rosario: 142 hits in 554 at bats. .256 BA. 24 SB. 76 runs.
Michael Conforto: 132 hits in 543 at bats. .243 BA. 28 HR. 82 RBI. .350 OBP. .797 OPS.
Brandon Nimmo: 114 hits in 433 at bats. .263 BA. 17 HR. 47 RBI. .404 OBP. .886 OPS.
Jeff Mcneil: 74 hits in 225 at bats. .329 BA. .381 OBP. .852 OPS.
- Most three-hit games by a Met 23 or younger in a season:
- Jose Reyes: 17 (2005)
- Ruben Tejada: 14 (2012)
- AMED ROSARIO: 12 (2018)
- Gregg Jefferies: 11 (1990)
- Most hits in a season by a Met younger than 23:
- Jose Reyes, 190 (2005)
- David Wright, 176 (2005)
- Gregg Jefferies, 171 (1990)
- Ron Hunt, 145 (1963)
- AMED ROSARIO, 139 (2018)
More interesting stats:
- In the 2nd half Michael Conforto had an .895 OPS with 15 2B, 17 HR and 52 RBI.
- Michael Conforto had 30 RBI at the All-Star Break. He finished the season with 82.
- Mets with multiple seasons of at least: – 25 HR – .350 or better OBP Wright. Strawberry. Piazza. Beltran. Delgado. Alfonzo. Hundley. HoJo. & Michael Conforto.
- Michael Conforto had 29 RBI for the month of September/October, which is the most by a Met in any month since Carlos Beltran in July 2006 (32 RBI).
- Brandon Nimmo’s 4.6 fWAR ranked 12th among NL position players.
- Only 8 Mets have posted a season of at least a .400 OBP & 4.0 bWAR: Cleon Jones. Dave Magadan. Keith Hernandez (3X). Edgardo Alfonzo. John Olerud (3X). Mike Piazza. David Wright. & Brandon Nimmo (2018)
- Qualified NL hitters who get on base more frequently than Brandon Nimmo: Joey Votto Lorenzo Cain.
- The Mets finished the season going 37-28 after they called up Jeff McNeil.
- McNeil posted a 119 wRC+ w/ traditional & non-traditional shifts this season, 17th best among NL hitters (min. 75 PA).
- Jeff McNeil has 3+ hits in 8 of his 47 starts
- Of Jeff Mcneil’s at bats he has: -Eleven zero-hit games (23%) -Seventeen one-hit games (36%) -Eleven two-hit games (23%) -Five three-hit games (11%) -Three four-hit games (6%)
- Highest rookie BA in the 21st century, minimum 200 PA: .350 Ichiro 2001 .342 Jeff McNeil 2018 .342 Trea Turner 2016
The future is now Mets fans. Lets turn to the next chapter.